US$ 115 or S/.385 per person
Uros Kayak + Amantani Overnight and Taquile Island Tour
(2 Day group tour)
While other tour operators offer just one way kayaking to Uros, here at Andean Ways you'll get a round-trip paddling from Puno to Uros and then the next day you return by kayak to Puno from Uros.
You are going to join in Uros reed islands to the group tour coming from Puno city by boat and there will be another main tour guide for all people on board.
It’s a group motor boat but instead you will have a private guide (or same kayak guide) for Amantani and Taquile islands.
Uros Kayak + Amantani Overnight Features
- Tour Duration: 2 days (3 hours in the kayak)
- Activity level: Easy/Moderate
- Distance Paddling: 8 km round-trip (Puno/Uros/Puno)
- Hotel Pick-Up Time: 7:00 am.
- Drop Off By Hotels: 4.30 pm.
- Kayak Frequency: Daily
- Season: Available all year
Where you’ll kayak and spend the night
You’ll start paddling from besides of Libertador hotel through marshes of Totora reeds toward the reed Islands. Uros floating area is located within Lake Titicaca National Reserve (Puno Sector) 4 km from Puno shore and 45-55 min by kayak, but Amantani is in the open lake, some 3 hours by regular boat from Uros.
Amantani Island is divided into 10 communities. Here we spend the night. For better profit and earning distribution from tourism they have rotating system to let visitors to spend the night in their typical adobe made houses. You’ll meet your mama, eat food prepared by her, experience the local living, traditions and be part of the welcome party in the night.
Taquile Island is visited the next day 1 hour from Amantani by boat. We’ll navigate from Taquile to Uros by the same boat but from Uros to Puno we’re kayaking once more again.
Guest review (on TripAdvisor)
Before you go read what our client has commented about this kayak tour on Lake Titicaca then be part of this amazing and unique local living experience in Amantani Island and kayaking.
Edison is very profesional and a fantastic guide. We learned a lot about Titicaca geography, history, geology, way of life, legends...
We met him the day before at the hotel and he organized everything (pickup and get back at the hotel in private transportation).
The start of the trip, in the early morning, on the quiet lake is fantastic!
We arrived on a small island without any tourists and we went on a traditional boat, with a local people to learn about reeds, fishing...
Then we joined a group to visit Amantani and Taquile Islands (2 days, night stay in local family in Amantani). This was also organized by Edison and really excellent!
We wish all the best to Edison, because what he is doing is really fantastic!
This will remain in our heads for a long... thank you!
Charles and Sophie.
- 7:00 am driver picks you up from your hotel in Puno city.
- 7:15 am Arrival to point departure where your guide awaits with the kayaks.
- 7:30 am Kayaking toward Uros islands through bed reeds.
- 9:00 am Guide explains about Uros life, history, island buildings.
- 9:45 am Transfer from Aruma Uro Lodge Island by small wood motor boat to join to Amantani Group Tour coming from Puno port.
- 10:00 am Group Tour motor boat leaves for Amantani.
- 1:15 pm Arrival time to one of the rotating communities in Amantani Island.
- The families wait for you, after that you’ll hike up to their houses for lunch.
- 2:00 pm Lunch time at their houses. 4 people go with one family.
- 4:00 pm It is time for walking up Temple of Pachatata (touristy place)
- 6:00 pm Return to house and dinner.
- 8:00 pm approx. the community welcomes you with a “Peña Show”, you go to community house dressed on typical clothing.
- 9:00 pm Return to family accommodation and overnight.
- 6:30 am Breakfast.
- 7:15 am departure from Amantani to visit Taquile Island (mainly tour guide decides).
- 8:20 am arrival to Taquile Island. And you begin walking up through a stone paved path to its small Plaza.
- 9:15 am at the small square you can visit its museum and Textile souvenir shop.
- 10.30 am you all are taken by the guide to the Local Tourist restaurant for lunch.
- 11:00 am Lunch and explanation of Taquile textiles.
- 12:00 pm later you go down and take the boat to return to Puno.
- 2:30 pm arrival to Uros islands, then transfer by a small boat to where the kayaks where left.
- 2:50 pm departure by kayaks from Uros to Puno shore by the same way.
- 3:55 pm arrival to kayak dock besides Libertador hotel and finally be transferred to your hotel (transport can be private or a shared one).
What you’ll do
Day 1: go to Uros Island by kayaks and then navigate to Amantani by motor boat.
This tour involves 1h 15min kayaking to Uros and then after, you’re going to take a shared boat Tour from Uros Islands to Amantani islands.
You’ll sleep on Amantani islanders’ family houses. As a group boat Tour, this tour is shared with different Puno Local Tour Operators.
Kayaking to Uros islands
It starts at 7:00 am with the pick-up from your Puno hotel toward the local kayak dock, which is located 15 min driving outside of downtown (only the driver will come for you at your hotel).
If you are a non-experienced kayaker, you’re going to begin with the kayak lessons and learn elemental things to know about kayaking.
You then get in a Perception or Prijon kayak and paddle toward Uros man-made floating Islands of Uros people.
This Amantani kayak adventure drives you through unique Uros landscapes (but it’s a shame that Puno shore is getting polluted with plastic things on its water).
After a non-rushed kayak paddling to Uros, we finally arrive on Uros Aruma Island (it was chosen due its large size and location).
We’ll have almost 50 minutes for exploring the island, but you would wisely take the reed boat trip for going to see how they cut reeds and catch fish (only available upon previous request) or we can spend more time in the kayaks stirring around the islands instead.
Your guide delivers information about the origin of the Uros people, how these ancient inhabitants live today and also about the island buildings.
Boat navigation to Amantani Island
When it is 9:45 am you are transferred to join Amantani Island boat tour by a small engine boat. It usually takes less than 15 minutes.
A 3-hour motorboat takes you to Amantani main port.
At Amantani port, the group will break into smaller groups of 4 people mainly, make friends while navigation lasts.
These small groups of 4 people will be taken by the families to their homes (lunch, accommodation, dinner, breakfast included).
Amantani is a natural Island where houses are usually located higher, and reach their house takes 30 min in average. Slow walking up and including breaks.
Lunch is provided by the families and dish is mainly based on Quinoa soup and local fried cheese and cooked potatoes as the main course plus Andean mint or Coca tea.
In the afternoon, at 4pm, if you are in a good physical condition you could trek to Pachatata Temple.
Here contemplate the beautiful sun set, of course if it does not rain. Wonder how huge is Lake Titicaca. Nature and landscape is incredibly amazing.
At 6pm you’re back again at your home for dinner and then get ready for the night welcome party: Peña Show!
Each place on the Lake is unique. Amantani has its very own typical clothing. So, this means you’re dressing on their customs.
At 8pm all visitors from all boats will go to the Community house for this welcome party. Dance and have fun!
Amantani has a rotating system; this will ensure every community get incomes by letting people sleep in their houses and for providing meals. Now all the local tour operators have to pay on arrival to the Island.
Overnight at the Amantani Homestay is with basic facilities. There is no electricity; you’ll need to bring your cellphone battery fully charged. Bring extra jacket for the cold or “freezing” night.
Day 2: we’ll say goodbye to our family hosts, leave Amantani and head to Taquile and then final paddle back from Uros to Puno.
Next day, after an early breakfast your family host is going to drive you down to same local port.
Now it’s time to say goodbye or adios. Our boat captain will navigate toward the next last natural Island of Taquile for 1 hour.
Here a 45-minute long ascending path will take us to the top, where we’ll find a small square with an adobe and stone church, its modern building municipality and restaurants.
Taquile Island is one of the top destinations in Lake Titicaca, receiving hundreds of tourists per day.
Taquile is famous by their fine textiles; buy them directly in their museum-souvenir shop at the small square.
Prior or after lunch, your guide is explaining about Taquile and more importantly about its textiles.
The meaning of the figures and symbols on the calendar belt and the usage of a typical herb from the Island for washing the sheep or Alpaca wool are one of the topics.
Have lunch based on Taquilean Quinoa soup, grilled Trout with white rice, fried potatoes and salad or egg-vegetable omelet instead Trout and have Coca or Muña teas for drinks.
The boat is waiting in a different location now. We’ll go down a similar stone paved path to the port.
You’ll enjoy the last panoramic views of the open or grater lake.
The boat returns directly to Puno port throughout Uros islands where we’ll disembark and take a local boat to get the kayaks.
Kayaking from Uros to Puno
Approximately at 2:50 pm we’re paddling again from Aruma Uro Lodge to Puno shore through the same water path. For this last paddle our driver is ready to pick you up and take you back to your selected hotel in Puno city.
From Taquile to Puno by boat
If taking the direct navigation from Taquile to Puno’s main port by the group boat the estimated arrival time is at 3pm then be transferred and dropped off by your hotel.
What to bring
- Sun protection
- Long sleeve T-shirt
- Fruits or snacks for middle morning.
- Chocolate bar.
- Warm jacket, here weather changes constantly.
- Optional to bring sleeping bag, blankets are made of sheep or Alpaca wool which makes them heavy and difficult to breath.
- Fully charged cellphone batteries.
- Jacket for the night.
- Towels and teeth brush.
What’s included (what we provide)
- Private transfer from your Puno hotel to kayak dock.
- 01 double or single sit-inside kayaks (Perception/Prijon with rudder pedals)
- Jacket life, spray skirt, Prijon paddles, gloves, and hats.
- Private guide for kayak tour.
- Small motor boat transfer from Uros Aruma Uro to Amantani group boat.
- Hot drinks on the Aruma Uro Lodge Island.
- Shared boat transportation to Amantani and Taquile Islands.
- English-Spanish speaking group guide for next islands.
- All entrance fees to Uros, Amantani and Taquile Islands.
- Lunch, dinner, breakfast (Next Day) and accommodation in family houses.
- Lunch in Taquile Island
- Final optional paddle from Uros to Puno (by kayaks)
- Drop off by hotels upon arrival from the islands.
Request Further Information. Get more. Do more.
If have questions and doubts about this kayak tour, take your time in telling us your inquiries and we’ll show you a lot more options.
Just email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or WhatsApp us to: +51 923206333
What else you should know
Remember that it is a physical activity so be prepared to paddle through the most beautiful spots of the Lake Titicaca National Reserve (Puno sector), as well as wearing comfortable clothes that you can wet.
We’ll spend the night in a remote Island where facilities are basic, far away we’re used to live.
How to book
You can get fully booked it and then get the Confirmation by:
Paying an Initial Amount via PayPal (link will be sent to you later) or make a bank transferand the Total Balance must be paid on your arrival at your hotel in Puno or while running the Tour in cash or using your Visa debit or credit card.
After we receive your email we'll back to you as soon as possible with the PayPal link or bank transfer number.
The exact amount and additional requirements will be sent to you.
Now please, start by filling the Booking Form below.