Colca Canyon 2 Day Trek
Group Tour Price: US$ 85 per person
Private Tour Price: from US$ 590 per group (up to 4)
Colca Canyon 2 Day Trek is an early and long drive from Arequipa to Cabanaconde (6 hours) with stop in Chivay for breakfast, then after trek from Cabanaconde into the Canyon and overnight in Sangalle. The next day we’ll return to Cabanaconde hiking, drive back to Chivay for La Calera hot spring water and lunch. Finally in the afternoon back to Arequipa.
Arequipa to Colca Canyon 2 Day Trek Features
Tour Type: Guided Bus/Van Ride Trip and Trekking
Tour Duration: 2 days
Hotel Pick-up Time: from 3:00 to 3:30 am (first day)
Santa Catalina Monastery Drop-off Time: from 5:30 pm (second day)
Consideration: Regular physical activity required
Highlights: Volcano viewpoint (Mirador de los Volcanes), Colca Valley views, Condor Cross, majestic flight of Condors, Hot springs of La Calera.
For doing Colca Canyon 2 Day Trek you need to be in a good level of fitness.
Maybe this not what you want to do in Arequipa compare all our Colca Canyon Tours Treks and discover which tour or trek is the perfect option for you.
During this Colca Canyon Trek, the night is spent in an oasis lodge near the bottom of the canyon.
Treks do include food but it is recommended to bring some extra snacks (fruit, cereal bars, etc) with you.
Colca Canyon Treks include Andean Condor Bird Viewing.
Colca Canyon 2 Day Trek Itinerary
Day 1: Arequipa City to Chivay (breakfast) to Condor’s cross to Sangalle
Your pick-up time is between 03:00 am and 03:30 am, we will depart from Arequipa to Cabanaconde in the Colca Canyon, which is about a 6 hour drive. On the way we stop at Chivay for breakfast and later we continue to La Cruz del Condor which is the best place to watch the Canyon and the famous Andean Condor birds. From here, we will continue another 20 minutes by bus to start our trek downhill (from Cabanaconde). We will trek downhill for approximately 3 ½ hours from 3300 metres to 2100 metres into the Canyon.
Arequipa to Cabanaconde drive, trek to Chuccho (overnight). Day 2 hike to oasis. Day 3 return to Chivay and Arequipa.
We’ll arrive to San Juan de Chuccho for lunch and some time to rest before continuing with our hiking, a village with vegetation and some fruit trees. From there, we keep walking to the small towns of Cosñirhua and Malata.
Then, it is time to keep hiking even further into the Canyon, this time into the deepest part of our trek to reach “Sangalle” a village at an altitude of approximately 1900 meters above see level. Here you can enjoy the warm swimming pool to relax after a long day’s hiking. We will arrive to Sangalle at approximately 17:00 pm. At night, we will have dinner and sleepover in bungalows near the oasis.
Day 2: From Sangalle to Chivay to Arequipa City
At 05:00 am, we will start trekking uphill for approximately 3 hours to the town of Cabanaconde with the help of torch lights. This part of the trek can provide spectacular views as we trek during the sunrise. We will have breakfast in Cabanaconde. From there, we will head to Chivay.
On the way, we will have a great view of pre-Inca terraces, some archaeological ruins and colonial towns amongst others views. Around noon, we arrive to Chivay at the hot springs, with water temperatures of 38°C (optional). In Chivay, we will enjoy a typical local lunch if you wish (not included).
In the afternoon, we will have transportation back to Arequipa. On the way, we descend from 4830 metres to 2325 metres and pass through a national reserve and Pampa Cañahuas, which is a habitat for the four species of South American camelids (llama, alpaca, vicuña and guanaco). This is where you can get that all important selfie with an Alpaca or even a Vicuña if you are lucky. At the end of the afternoon, we arrive to Arequipa between 17:00 pm – 18:00 pm and we will drop you off at Calle Santa Catalina, next to Santa Catalina Monastery.
- Round trip tourist transportation – private bus so your seat is always reserved.
- Meals (2 Breakfast, 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner).
- English speaking trekking guide – local expert who knows everything about the Canyon.
- One night in the lodge. Shared bathroom – upgrades to room with private bathroom available for approx S/.40 soles.
- Towel Hire available S/.5 soles.
- Entrance ticket to Canyon: S/.70 soles – not included on any tour due to it being illegal to include it.
- Entrance to the Hot Springs: about S/.15 soles – OPTIONAL
- Last lunch in Chivay – Operators will direct you to the tourist buffet restaurants which cost around 30 soles. THIS IS OPTIONAL and you do not have to eat here.
- The passenger has the obligation to mention any health problem or past injury to assure and guarantee the safety of the trip.
- Tips for the guides are not included.
- Wear warm layers for the early morning transport, as the route to the canyon reaches altitudes of almost 5000 meters above sea level and can have freezing temperatures.
NOTE: THIS TREK ISN’T EASY; SOME SAY IT’S HARDER THAN MACHU PICCHU’S! For people who get tired during the trek, it is possible to hire mules.
What to bring?
If you’re booking a 2-day round-trip (Arequipa/Colca/Arequipa) 2 Day Colca Canyon Tour, just bring a small bag. Large luggage can be stored at your hotel/accommodation in Arequipa. But if planning to travel to Puno from Chivay bring all with you (there is enough room).
- Trekking shoes or boots
- Waterproof rain jacket
- Warm layers, sweater or jacket (IMPORTANT) –Temperatures reach lows of -10 Celsius
- Shorts or pants for walking
- Swimming suit, sandals, towel – swimming pools in the oasis, and thermal baths in Chivay on the way back to Arequipa!
- Flashlight/ headtorch – Early trek out of the Canyon starts at 5am before sunrise (It is dark!)
- Basics like toilet paper, etc
- Snacks (Breakfast on the last day is AFTER the early morning hike out of the Canyon – bring enough snacks to fuel you up the climb!)
- Insects repellent
- Personal medications (if necessary)
- Hiking sticks (optional)
- Photocopy of passport and immigration card (TAM)
- Light backpack
- 1.5 to 2 litres of water for day 1 (if you need more you can buy it at the small shops at the villages BUT expensive)
- Sun cream (very important)
- Hats, sunglasses
Request Further Information. Get more. Do more.
If you have questions and doubts about Colca Canyon 2 Day Trek from Arequipa, take your time in telling us your inquiries and we’ll show you a lot more options to do (or re-design the entire itinerary).
Just email us at:
Or WhatsApp us to:
+51 965154772 (Fredy, the guy responsible of emails and inquiries at headquarter)
How to book
- You can get it fully booked by paying an Initial Amount via PayPal and the Total Balance must be paid in USD or PEN cash at the end of tour, then this is how you’ll get your Tour Confirmation from us.
- After we receive your “Booking Request”, we'll back to you as soon as possible with the PayPal link and the exact first amount to be paid.
- Additional information and requirements will be detailed on the email (or via WhatsApp).
After we receive your email we'll back to you as soon as possible with the PayPal link.
The exact amount and additional requirements will be sent to you later.
Now please, start by filling the Booking Form below.